Sunday, December 2, 2012

GIrl On Fire


Review for one of 2012 best new hit album by sensation Alicia Keys:
Girl On Fire

  Call Alicia Keys old-fashioned – she does begin her fifth studio album with an instrumental that flaunts her classical piano training, but always is knocked up a notch by her fabulous voice. Despite being know for her pop star status, Keys has learned to spice her flavorful mid tempo songs and gusty inspirational ballads with odd chords, unexpected twists, and reggae flourishes.  Key's takes some of her inspirations from British electronic music that she incorporates into her more sedated songs like "Fire We Make," with features a breathy duet with fellow neo-soul veteran Maxwell, and the album's centerpiece, "When It's All Over," which features a cameo from her 2-year-old son, Egypt. Alicia Key's songs are not the typical style of pop you can blast on your radio anyway; what with the unbearable repetitiveness of every single line being the exact replica of the one before. Instead, she follows her own style, and creates her own the tunes. The result is both her catchiest and most well-liked album yet – and one of the best R&B records of 2012.


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I like the details about her son and comparing it to reggae! I heard mixed reviews about the album but after reading yours I think I'd like to hear "When it's all over"! Good background info about how many albums she's done! You need 5 paragraphs though!

    ReplyDelete